numbered footnotes on titlepage

The new lab I work in at Indiana University has an annual progress report, with its own stylesheet. There is a template available for Microsoft Word, but I much prefer LaTeX, so I am trying to write my own class file for that. One of the quirks of the stylesheet is that footnotes from the title are numbered. To clarify what I mean, consider the fact that many journal articles include a footnote or two in the title or author listing which may be an acknowledgment or a clarification of what institutions the authors are working at. These footnotes are usually not numbered, but instead are marked with a symbol such as an asterisk or a dagger, and this is what LaTeX does by default, when one uses the thanks command. Since the reports I will be writing are very similar to articles, I decided to try to just hack the article.cls file into srl.cls. After some experimenting, I found the line in the maketitle declaration which gives the symbols instead of numbers.


I simply commented this line out.

I also commented out the line which sets the footnote numbers to 0 after maketitle is finished typesetting the title


Presto! One part of the stylesheet is done.

This entry was posted in latex. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to numbered footnotes on titlepage

  1. dophilx says:

    I test with options, but it ‘s not work, both collapsing archive and collapsing catgories. They ‘re not work.
    – When I give it to sidebar, they were not shown truth.
    Link to archive direct to not exist page.
    You can see error here: (only title shown)
    – I’m using WP 2.3.2 engine.
    – Plz help me.

  2. SharY says:

    Wao. thanks for the help mate. It really works and now I am having the numbered footnotes… thanks to you.


  3. Grant Izmirlian says:

    I got it to work very quickly without a hitch…I copied article.cls and article.sty (for back-compatability). In article.cls, I commented out the two lines indicated above. I also changed all instances of ‘article’ to ‘myarticle’. I changed the filenames to myarticle.cls and myarticle.sty as well. After running texhash it works great. Now I use myarticle instead of article in my \documentclass statement.

  4. Aw, this was a very nice post. In concept I would like to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and in no way appear to get one thing done.