Thanks to all the users who helped me test out the 1.3.testing version of postie, the wordpress plugin which allows you to post by e-mail. I now feel that it is stable enough to call it 1.3.alpha. There are probably still some bugs, but I think that the new features probably warrant giving it a try for most users. Here is a summary of the new features and fixes:
- Now using default wordpress image and upload handling, which means:
- No more creating special directories for postie
- No more confusion about imagemagick
- Can now use the gallery feature of wordpress
- Attachments are now connected to posts in the database
- All image resizing uses wordpress’s default settings (under media)
- Configuration, settings and documentation improvements
- Completely redesigned settings page (mostly thanks to Rainman)
- Reset configuration no longer deletes mailserver settings
- Now including help files and faq directly in settings page
- More media features
- Automatically turn links to youtube into an embedded player
- Added option to embed audio files with custom templates
- Video options are now template based
- Image options are now solely template based, with several new default
- Bug fixes
- Uploading images from vodafone phones should now work
- Correctly handling Windows-1252 encoding
- Correctly handling non-ascii characters in subject line
I still need your help! As I mentioned there are bound to be some bugs, and I would appreciate if you give me feedback in the postie forum. Several people have also provided localizations. That is a big help. Some of the current localizations now need some updating. If you are familiar with that, I would be grateful. A .pot file is included with the postie distribution.
I have mostly stopped development on the 1.2 branch of postie. I will be adding new updates to postie in the development version.
Below is a screenshot of the new options page for postie.